Friday, June 11, 2010

Intimidation, Fear, and Friends

Last night, I had the opportunity to chat with a few friends I made at the Escalate conference over Skype. After 20 minutes of trying to figure the Skype thing out, adding people, calling, hanging up, and wondering if our long-awaited conference call would actually happen, 10 or so of us quickly dove into conversation about photography, life, our joys, and our struggles.

In an industry that is so highly competitive, I am so thankful for this group of people who have made a commitment to challenge, encourage, and help one another out in any way possible. It has been a breath of fresh air for me to visit with other photographers in every stage who are going through the same experiences I am facing. As we talk through our challenges and our dreams, it is so incredible to brainstorm creative solutions with one another and gain the courage to continue walking forward through the intimidation.

Without people like this in my life, I would not be here today and my business would not be what it is. When I first picked up a digital camera for the first time in 2005, I had NO IDEA what I was doing. It was a miracle that anything turned out (maybe I shouldn't be admitting this here...). I am so grateful to photographers such as Brooke Robinson, who took a chance on me and invited me to tag along to weddings as her second shooter, who have given me the benefit of their hard work and knowledge, turning me to resources I never knew existed. They have had more influence on me than they even know.

Though I have hopefully grown a little since those first days, camera in hand, I am far from where I want to be; both professionally and as a person. I continue to face obstacles and challenges, get intimidated by the incredible work of other photographers, and some days don't want to get out of bed for fear of failing. Thanks friends, for being willing to stand beside me. It is my hope that, in the future, I can give back to you some of the encouragement and help that you have graciously given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment