Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Day's Portion in its Day


I followed my usual routine this morning. I grabbed a cup of coffee (now made only with a french press, delish!) and my Bible and sat down to read for a bit. A repeating theme in my reading the last few months had been abiding in Christ. I feel like I've always struggled to understand exactly what this means to abide and remain in the Lord, so at the beginning of the year, I made up my mind to really spend some time searching it out. The Lord, as always, has been so faithful to show up during this exploration. He's revealed Himself to me and given me many opportunities to practice turning to Him first.

So... back to this morning. My reading took me to a kind of random verse in Exodus: "Then the Lord said to Moses, ' I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day...' " Exodus 16:4 At first, I couldn't imagine how that really went with the concept of abiding, but after thinking about it, I began to see how the Lord provides for us each day, exactly what we need. Read this rich excerpt from Abide in Christ, by Andrew Murray:

"The day's portion in its day.... It is still the law in all the dealings of god's grace with His children. It was, without doubt, with a view to this and to meet man's weakness, that God graciously appointed the change of day and night. If time had been given to man in the form of one long unbroken day, it would have exhausted and overwhelmed him... The rest of night fits him for making a fresh start with each new morning; the mistakes of the past can be avoided, it's lessons improved. And he has only each day to be faithful for the one short day... How great the value which this truth teaches us to attach to each single day! We are so easily led to look at live as a great whole, and to neglect the little to-day, to forget that the single days do indeed make up the whole, and that the value of each single day depends on its influence on the whole. One day lost is a link broken in the chain, which often takes more than another day to mend.

Manna, as your food and strength, is given only by the day; faithfully to fill the present is your only security for the future. Accept, and enjoy, and fulfill with your whole heart the part you have this day to perform. His presence and grace enjoyed to-day will removed all doubt whether you can trust tomorrow to Him too.

Whether it be a day of health or sickness, joy or sorrow, rest or work, of struggle or victory, let the chief thought with which you receive it in the morning thanksgiving be this: ' A day that the Father gave; in it I may, I must become more closely united to Jesus' .

Wow! I'm so encouraged to be reminded that I can just think about today and leave the stresses of work, friends moving, friends moving-on, relationships, finances and the future to His loving care. He will give me absolutely everything I need to get through this day and then all that I need for tomorrow and the next day and the next...

Sorry for the long post. I hope that all of the thoughts in my head have made sense as I've tried to process through the typing. Hopefully it will give you a little bit of encouragement to live out to-day!

One thing I am trying desperately not to worry about today: this weekend's long run! I think my running shoes look pretty good just sitting there, don't you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment