Monday, February 1, 2010

A Week of Spain in Pictures: Culture



It's here! A week of Spain in pictures officially starts today! Over the next few days I'll be sharing glimpses of Spanish culture, sights, food, and experiences. I had an amazing time and, hopefully, through these pictures you can get a feel for being there.

I got a great introduction to Spanish culture on our first full day. After traveling for almost 2 full days, Jess and I were tired. We decided not to set an alarm clock and figured that we would wake up naturally by 9 or 10 am. Spaniards typically stay up late and sleep in a little later, so we felt like we were really doing things the "right" way. Well, all morning, we kept dozing in and out. I usually would wake up for a second and fall right back asleep, and it always felt fairly early to me. Finally, I decided to look at a clock, 1:45!!!!!! What?? So much for getting up and on with our day. Fortunately, we were up just in time for lunch so we hurried up and got ready and headed up to a little cafe for some food. One side note: I don't usually drink any soda here at home, but the soda overseas is soooo good. It's made with real sugar, not that corn syrup stuff, so it's legit. Just like they used to make it back in the good ol' days.

A view of Granada from the Alhambra.

In Granada

I love the tiny streets and alley-ways!




Coffee and churros!

Evelyn is the daughter of the family we stayed with. Here she is demonstrating how to properly dip your churro in chocolate. Best. Snacking. Ever.

Sunday afternoon at the park in Madrid. There are tons of amazing street performers.


Everyone hangs out in the streets on Sundays skating, biking, walking. They just enjoy being outside with their neighbors!



A cool-looking band (we assume) in the middle of a photoshoot. Probably for their really famous album cover. I am still pretty obsessed with what this girl was wearing.

Is it ironic to see Mickey Mouse dressed up as Uncle Sam in Spain??? This guy didn't like me very much.
The children in Spain are the cutest! We loved these matching sisters!

Flamenco dancers!










1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS KHART! You are amazing! I want all of them. ;) Seriously, BEST TRIP EVER! I am so glad you came! -Jess

    ReplyDelete