Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Canceled flights, Mad Dashes, and Jet-Lag

Today has been one of those strange kind of days. I'm home, and glad to be. I also miss Spain. A lot. Today has seemed exceptionally long to me, probably from jet-lag. I know my sense of time is a little crazy right now. Yesterday was a full day of traveling. I've traveled quite a bit in the past and have decided that I'm pretty lucky, overall, to have avoided most of the problems that you hear of when being abroad. You can imagine my surprise when we arrived at the airport yesterday (3 hours early), to hear that my flight had been canceled. Not delayed, CANCELED. After a quick moment of panic, I was told that I would be switched to a flight on a different airline that left in just under an hour. Then the rush began. After a very quick good-bye to Jess, the mad dash was on to check my bags, get through security. I ran though the airport, got through immigration, caught a train to another terminal and then really RAN through another security checkpoint (with a pat-down, awesome.) and finally arrived at the end of the line of people boarding the plane. The switch turned out to be a great thing. The trip was wonderful and I actually arrived 2 hours ahead of schedule with my luggage! Just in time for bed :)

So, for any future traveling that I do, I decided to write down some tips that I hope to remember:
1. When in Europe (or anywhere else I suppose), look for the escalators and be glad for them. Lugging a suitcase up and down stairs is not fun.

2. Fill up your water bottle in the airport. I forgot since I was so rushed and I regretted it for hours.
3. Don't pack one single thing you won't use.

4. Leave extra room in your suitcase for any shopping or souvies you might bring home. I needed all of mine :)

5. Prep for jet-lag. Tylenol PM is a good friend.
6. Pack a sandwich for the airplane. Just in case the food on the plane lives up to its reputation.


I'm planning to post pictures from my trip later this week. There are so many that it's going to take awhile to sort through! For now, I'll leave you with one of my fave view of the Alhambra and city of Granada. You can't beat this view!

No comments:

Post a Comment