Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spanish Adventures

I'm sitting at the computer tonight, so thrilled to be saying hello to you on my fourth day in Europe. I can't wait to share some pictures from Spain with you next week. Granada is a beautiful city surrounded by snow-capped mountains, filled with beautiful people and customs. Jess and my day's have been spent walking the city streets, shopping, sipping cafe con leche in small cafe's, shopping, sightseeing, me trying out my Spanish, and... shopping. We have managed to do some serious purchasing and I have discovered a new-found love for Zara. European fashion is the best.

So, funny story. Tuesday night, we went to a Flaminco dance at a local pub. The owner there took a liking to us and really tried to help us out for the evening. We arrived very early, so he recommended a wonderful place for us to go have a drink and tapas. When we came back, the room was packed with tourists. Most of the tourists were on a group tour and were exhausted. Throughout the show, they were falling asleep, which was a huge insult to the dancers. One of the dancers, an older woman, had a smile on her face the whole time, but was picking on the sleepers. When she sat down, she said in Spanish to the other dancers, "Everyone here is really ugly and I cannot get that one girl to stop taking pictures of me (not me, but another tourist who was pestering her)". Since Jess speaks Spanish, I got the inside scoop and we both had a good laugh as this woman was no spring-chicken.

We have been dealing with jet-lag and are short on sleep, but the company is sweet. We are staying with an American family that has been living here in Granada for 4 years. We have been well taken care of and I have truly been enjoying the new friendships of Garrick and Ziu and their children Evelyn and Mathis.

Tomorrow, we head to Madrid to finish up our time. Jess has been an awesome tour-guide this week. She has not spent much time in Madrid, so tomorrow will be a bit of a new adventure for us. I can't wait to post some photos of this amazing place next week!

Have a great day!

1 comment: